Sanitation and hygiene in the pharmaceutical, chemical and food sector
Even the protective housing of electro-pneumatic components can make a difference.
Actuators that are used in the pharmaceutical, chemical and food sector generally present an aluminum casing with anodized surfaces that, over time, on account of bumps or scratches due to their use, trigger an inadmissible oxidation process where sanitation and hygiene are required instead.
In order to solve this issue, SteriValves supplies, upon customer request, a special protective housing for automatic valves: STERIBOX.
SteriBox guarantees the protection of your pneumatic actuator (together with its sensors and solenoid valve when these are installed on it) against:
- water coming from the external environment.
Protection becomes essential when the automatic valve is installed in presence of corrosive, saline or explosive atmosphere, or when the valve should be flushed externally without being disassembled from the system.
When is STERIBOX recommended?
- The use of a SteriBox is recommended when it is necessary to protect all electro-pneumatic components of the valve (pneumatic actuator, position sensors, solenoid valve) from solid particles (especially powder and liquids).
- The use of a SteriBox is especially indicated when it is necessary to clean the valve from the outside without being disassembled. In fact, Steribox represents a mechanical barrier against jets of water, offering IP65 protection for all electro-pneumatic components (according to the IEC 60529 standard).
What are the advantages of the SteriBox?
- Allows the automatic valve to be washed with its control and management system without being disassembled (for example: BINs that are generally washed in washing stations or systems where removal of the valve would be difficult or time consuming)
- Avoids accumulation of dust near the sensors, which in some cases can cause accidents, especially in areas where there could be risk of explosion.
- Protects the electro-pneumatic components (necessary for valve management and control of its positions) from chemical attacks and mechanical shocks.
- Reduces time and offers higher maintenance efficiency.
- The lockable version guarantees maintenance operations traceability, preventing outsiders from accessing the electropneumatic components.
What are the benefits of the SteriBox?
- Increases electro-pneumatic components’ lifetime: avoiding aging, mechanical damage and oxidation.
- Reduces downtime for cleaning (removal of dust and dirt: causes of contamination or system safety).
- Reduces downtime for electro-pneumatic component maintenance.
- Reduces downtime for flushing the system.
Technical characteristics of the product:
Materials: SteriBox is a stainless steel casing -generally EN 1.4301 (AISI 304)-, with external satin finish (Ra <1.2µm) and surface finish similar to its valve.
Sealing: protection against external agents is effective thanks to the elastomeric seal that guarantees complete isolation from dust and water jets.
Design and ergonomics: the design of the SteriBox allows the protective cover to be quickly removed for regular inspection and maintenance of all the electro-pneumatic components it contains. Removal of the lid, when the application allows it, can be done manually (without the use of tools) or in other cases, a lockable lid can be provided (allowing to verify and track who has performed the setup and maintenance of the electro-components inside).
Utilities: all utilities are connected through cable glands and quick couplings for compressed air located at the base of the Steribox.
Disassembly: the SteriBox can be supplied with a quick release system from the valve, using a clamp. It allows the casing to be removed without disconnecting the pneumatic components inside (that remain connected).